Santa Maria Maddalena
The first documented church on the island was built in 1768 in the Collo Piano area. The gradual movement of the population towards the more central area of Cala Gavetta made it necessary to build a new place of worship. Thus was born the first project for the construction of the Church of Santa Maria Maddalena, dating back to 1780 by the military engineer Marciot. From 1815 to 1993 the Church changed its face several times. From the exact increase in size by Baron Des Geneys, to the Mediterranean-style facade of the architect Mossa up to the interventions of the architect Maddalenino Cianchetti to restore the original neoclassical aspect of the place.
The church, simple and discreet, is the custodian of some interesting works. On the others stand out the high altar and the large wooden crucifix arrived from Genoa in 1831, the statue of Mary Magdalene dating from the eighteenth century and the crucifix with two silver candlesticks donated by Admiral Orazio Nelson in 1804.
Via Ilva, 1
Agonia nostro Signore Gesù Cristo
The Parish Church, dating back to 1905 and dedicated to the Agony of Our Lord Jesus Christ, has undergone countless changes over the decades. From 1920 in the style of the pontificate of Pius XI up to 1970. Today, the chapel is mainly used by the institute for the elderly Oasi Serena. The gabled facade articulated on three levels is recognizable. At the base are the two rectangular portals with oculi with a granite frame, the three arched windows and the large mullioned window under the slopes. Inside, the mosaic positioned behind the apse is valuable.
Via Silvio Pellico, 22
Madonnetta dei Pescatori
La Maddalena Island Perched on a granite boulder overlooking the sea in one of the most beautiful and evocative places of the Archipelago, this small chapel is still today the destination of the faithful devoted to the small statue of Maria, savior from the dangers of the sea.
La Maddalena Island The oldest church in the Archipelago, a place of worship and devotion for the faithful imploring graces and ex-votos of the island.
Cappella della Madonna della Pace
Caprera Island After a long period of abandonment, in 1998 the willing faithful of the hamlet of Stagnali made a complete restructuring so that Caprera Island could have again its dignified place of prayer.
Santa Maria Assunta
Santa Maria Island Adelasia di Torres, following her divorce from King Enzo, in 1243 obtained the forgiveness of Pope Innocent IV through the intercession of the prior of a small group of Benedictine monks of Sancta Maria Inter Insulas Budellis.